Our Team

 

20+ nationalities and counting, unknown kilometers covered between us, and enough tremendous travel tales to keep us entertained for years to come…

Introducing the Polarsteps dream team.

 

Other very important facts and figures

58

The number of times we’ve teleported colleagues around the world

13,558

How many kilometers we've traveled together during awesome team work-aways

3

Tremendous trips taken in the Polarsteps van by members of our team (with more to come!)

 

The Faces

  • Maximiliano Neustadt

    Co-Founder & CEO

    Argentinian driven by wanderlust to live in the Netherlands – exploring the world on the way. Once had a roaring lion as his alarm clock when sleeping in a tent on the Serengeti. Backpacker at heart but now a flashpacker by obligation (having two small kids).

  • Niek Bokkers

    Co-Founder & Creative Director

    Loves the freedom of the open road and the even-more-open ocean – find him riding old (and often unreliable) bikes to lesser-traveled spots or paddling his way around the Dutch waterways.

  • Job Harmsen

    Co-Founder & Head of Design

    Lover of food, dogs, and user interfaces as clear as the water he dives in. Has taken his trusty backpack through South America on multiple adventures, bringing back a taste for empanadas (and a few bottles of his favorite Colombian booze, Aguardiente).

  • Koen Droste

    Co-Founder

    Enjoys backpacking, road trips, and going wherever the next sunset takes him. From experience knows that “not all who wander are lost” but if they’re traveling around Mexico in a vintage VW they may spend a lot of time broken down...

  • Pia

    CCO (Chief Cuddle Officer)

    Adorable Dutch doggo with a passion for tail-wagging, belly rubs, and destroying toy sloths. Often found in the Polarsteps office keeping team morale high with kisses and tug of war sessions. Looking forward to sniffing all the world has to offer.

  • Paco Gómez Granados

    Frontend Web Engineer

    Traveling musician with a passion for code and cooking. Invented an instrument called “The Pacophone” in his spare time. Next move: taking his traveling band (consisting of him, his girlfriend, and their two children) to the rugged shores of Iceland.

  • Florian Grashäftl

    Android Engineer

    Born in a small town in the Austrian Alps, giving him a head for altitude that he intends to push to the limit with his future travels! Balances the time spent inside sharpening his coding skills with a love for the outdoors.

  • Sascha Vloet

    Head of People & Operations

    Got bitten by the travel bug (but thankfully no spiders) while in Australia and has been in search of the best places to hike, eat and drink ever since. Doesn’t do rice, which can be a slight problem when in Asia..

  • Steffany Hernandez

    Managing Support Specialist

    From Colombia to Amsterdam (via Aruba). A dog mom of two rescues who is always on the lookout for the best places to take her pack! Loves to recreate dishes from places she's been, with Bibimbap holding a special place in her heart (and kitchen).

  • Sara van Geloven

    Consulting Travel Editor

    Loves searching the corners of the globe for inspiring travel stories, with curiosity leading her into wondrous (and sometimes strange) situations – from sailing the high seas to climbing frozen waterfalls and even trying out a Hobbit-hole for size.

  • Lottie Coltman

    Copywriter & Concept Developer

    Runaway Brit, refusing to let Brexit hold her back. Travels solo, specializing in adventures of the chaotic and haphazard variety. Ran out of money 3 months into a 1-year trip. Expect stories as wild as her hair!

  • Claire Bissell

    Travel Editor

    A small-but-mighty Brummie who loves to ride the rails — traveling all over Europe with her partner and cheeky toddler in tow. Has a passion for second-hand fashion, yoga, and, perhaps most of all, croissants. Catch her bopping to Abba at her desk.

  • Matthew Bainbridge

    Travel Editor

    This globe-trotting, dumpling-loving Geordie studied in Glasgow before moving to Montreal, where a bizarre mix of collected accents made ordering a beer… interesting. Now based in Amsterdam, our resident BFG is adding Dutch to the mix.

  • Yannis Abelas

    Product Designer

    Born near the Greek sea, it was always his destiny to love warm weather, good food, and stunning sunsets (but has chosen to live in The Netherlands anyway!). Now spends his time daydreaming about building a van and surfing around the world.

  • Javi Lorbada

    iOS Engineer

    Spanish adventurer with killer mobile development skills and a passion for traveling the world — the best moments of which he captures on his trusty camera (with pretty spectacular results). Once woke up to (and managed to photograph) an erupting volcano!

  • Nicky Evans

    Travel Editor

    A passion for food and drink means she’s happiest holding a cocktail or a menu (preferably abroad). Speaks four languages and loves using them to connect with people – especially via the medium of karaoke. Next travel to-dos: Argentina, India and Tel Aviv.

  • Gaganpreet Arora

    Backend Engineer

    A foodie from India! Having packed his bags and made the move to Amsterdam, he now spends his time trying out new cuisines in the kitchen (with a whole shelf of his fridge dedicated to homemade kimchi!). Dreams of going on a culinary trip through Asia.

  • Brin Andrews

    Travel Editor

    An outdoor adventurer on an eternal mission to get lost. Happiest in a backpack and sun hat, she's rambled her way all up and down the Americas, and now enjoys traveling as often as possible around Europe.

  • Matt Phillips

    Managing Travel Editor

    As happy sharing a campfire with hungry hyenas in Zimbabwe as he is captaining a sailboat in the Adriatic, his adventures have seen as many close scrapes as countries visited (he’s lost count of both). Unsurprisingly, he’s never short of a story.

  • Relinde Boerman

    Lead Recruiter

    A cat-loving Dutchie whose main reasons for traveling are food, adventure, and culture (in that order). If she’s not hiking then she can be found hunting for wine in the French countryside in her self-described “garbage car”.

  • Andrei Oghina

    Backend Engineer

    A coding connoisseur, born and raised in Romania. When’s he not working his magic on the computer, he can be found on the road, beach, or, snowboarding slopes — sharing the wonder of the world with his wife and two kids.

  • Mylene Keijzer

    Community & Support Specialist

    Lover of culture, concerts, and cuisine (especially veggie dumplings!). Has fully embraced the joy of sloooow travel, swapping flights for overlanding options when possible. Biggest adventure so far? Making her way from Amsterdam to Bangkok by bus and train!

  • Lincy Willemsen

    Community & Support Specialist

    A (street) foodie and bouldering baddie that calls Hawaii her spiritual home! Has lived multiple lives — banana farmer, handbag designer, yoga teacher — and, seeking adventure, once moved to Latvia with just her car, golden retriever, and blender.

  • Jim van der Waal

    Head of Product

    A Rotterdammert with no shortage of passions to pursue during his trips — whether it's capturing that sunrise shot, sampling the local brews, or cheering on the city's team at a football match! His travel regret? Not knowing dad jokes in every language.

  • Lou Rei

    People & Operations Specialist

    French expat who fell in love with the world through travel! She may have found true adventure in Australia, but it's in the Netherlands that she found true love! Her life goal? Discover the world by van, bringing her cat Roquefort along for the ride.

  • Fieke Brienen

    Product Designer

    This board-game-loving, salsa-dancing Dutchy (who dislikes Dutch food) has quite the list of trips to plan. Her main aim? Try new cuisines, gather new recipes, and experience unknown — but delectable — delicacies along the way.

  • Bert Kuit

    Protector of the Polarsteps Plants

    A sweet-toothed, green-thumbed Dutchie that dances to his own tune (despite having two left feet). When he is not pruning, planting, or offering organic gardening advice, he has been known to explore Europe by rail — champagne picnic in hand!

  • Jules Goslinga

    Managing Support Specialist

    A Dutch backpacker who travels fast and furiously to fit in as much as possible before it’s on to the next stop!. Spurred on by his fascination with world history and international relations, he can often be found exploring countries with a colorful or complicated past.

  • Hannah Callahan

    Community & Support Specialist

    An energetic American that very spontaneously made the move from sunny Madrid to Amsterdam for love. When traveling, she can most often be found eating her way around new cities, or swimming in the ocean. Big bucket list item: Night snorkeling with Manta Rays.

  • Amanshu Raikwar

    Android Engineer

    From a small city in central India. Decided to bid goodbye to Singapore to continue his adventures in The Netherlands. Loves hiking, the outdoors, and building things. Was once stuck in a violent thunderstorm overnight while camping on a mountaintop.

  • Anand Tripathi

    Backend Engineer

    A tennis-player, Indian nomad, and YouTube creator who loves nothing more than hopping on his motorbike to explore new places! Top of his wish list? Tibet!

  • Osvaldo Santana

    Backend Engineer

    A self-proclaimed 'classic nerd' with love for computers and tech. He is known to drive long distances with his family in pursuit of incredible places (but he is also looking to get back into solo motorbike trips). His road trip soundtrack? Rock and electro!

  • Niek Nijland

    Frontend Engineer

    A Dutchie who prefers quiet villages over urban living — unless he’s traveling, when he mixes nature with city partying! Once bungee jumped off a bridge in the USA in the middle of the night (despite there being a sign saying "No jumping from bridge").

  • Annelijn Vernooij

    Product Manager

    A Utrecht-based cake baker with a passion for skylines, from New York skyscrapers to Alpine silhouettes. When traveling, she can be found doing pretty much anything except for lazing on the beach — canoeing, kitesurfing, or trying out the local brewery.

  • Márcio Santos

    Frontend Engineer

    A sporty, thrill-seeking Brazilian who love to ride waves AND rollercoasters (both things he seeks out during his travels). Swapped the nature of his lush island home for the Netherlands, despite having never been to Europe before!

  • Jimmy Arts

    Jimmy Arts

    Lead iOS Engineer

    A music-loving, festival-going, F1-watching explorer from the South of the Netherlands. Travel fun fact: This adventurer once accidentally boarded a plane to Bali (when he was meant to be going to Singapore) only realizing minutes before departure!

  • Eline van Delft

    Community & Support Specialist

    An outdoorsy, musical, and zen Dutchie who has also called both Australia and Chile home. Now living in a plant-stuffed apartment in Leiden, her hobbies include bouldering, books, and Brazilian- jiu-jitsu (and she's keen to try even more new things!).

  • Miro Jokinen

    Community & Support Specialist

    An adrenaline-loving, motor-bike riding Finn who likes to go with the flow. Prior to moving to the Netherlands (which he did with only two months notice), he lived in Spain and has even been a snorkeling guide in Thailand.

  • Agnes Minorczyk

    Community & Support Specialist

    A Polish-born, hammock-loving cultural chameleon who has called the US, Italy, England, France, and now the Netherlands home. A social introvert, she has a flair for storytelling and lots of amazing tales — like catching the bubonic plague in Madagascar!

  • Nadia Ndiaye

    Community & Support Specialist

    A Senegalese-American who finds joy in visiting family and friends across the world and watching sociology videos. Also a big fan of game nights and discovering different cultures through cuisine.

  • Roxanne Bentrup

    Community & Support Specialist

    A sometimes-clumsy hiking enthusiast who hails from a quaint US town. Can often be found traveling by camper van with her husband across Europe! Her aim? To explore new cultures and cuisines (particularly important for such an avid baker!).

  • Arne de Vries

    iOS Engineer

    A Dutch car-loving, music-making dad that likes to stay foolish. Can be found cycling, ice- or inline speed-skating, SUPing, or snowboarding. Loves crazy road trips with unsuitable vehicles that are guaranteed to break down (it adds extra adventure!).

  • Richard Nees

    iOS Engineer

    A county-hopping nomad with an ear for tunes and a heart for Liverpool football team. Originally from Denmark, he’s called no less than nine countries home! Hobbies include sipping Belgian beer and snapping together LEGO sets.

  • Orcun Deniz

    iOS Engineer

    Izmir-born and raised! A huge Fenerbahce Sports Club fan that almost never misses a match. When he’s not enjoying old rock music, dark comedy, or strategy games, he’s planning travels around good food, rich history, and sunny skies.

  • Andrii Durbalo

    iOS Engineer

    A Ukrainian guy with a taste for Mediterranean cuisine. So far, his curiosity has led him to stroll European cities, climb American skyscrapers, snowboard multiple mountain ranges, and float in the Adriatic sea — much of which he captured on his GoPro!

  • Hanieh Hashemi

    Android Engineer

    An Iranian yoga enthusiast and Catan board-game pro who regularly pretends that she doesn't have cat allergies in order to dote on her beautiful four-legged feline, Bella! Her travel aims? To ride roller coasters around the world!

  • Liza Alekhnovich

    Backend Engineer

    A nature-loving, avid hiker, who finds joy seeking out breathtaking views (especially if rewarded with local food afterwards!). A Belarus native, she embraced Dutch life in 2022, and still feels like every day is an adventure. Her newest pursuit? Piano!

  • James Robertson

    Tech Recruiter (interim)

    An enthusiastic explorer who enjoys everything from the Caribbean’s vibrant culture to Iceland’s otherworldly landscapes. When not on the road, he can be found at gigs, delving into the world of coding, or cheering on his favorite sports teams.